Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Getting better

I have to apologize for not having written anything in a while, but I've been under the weather since Friday. I've had a head cold, on and off, but never fully off, for the past month. This Friday it turned into a bad cough and I'm pretty sure a fever, though I don't have a thermometer, and things got progressively worse.

This was a major bummer because a coworker had set me up on a blind date for me for Saturday evening. I was determined not to have to cancel that meeting. I've never been on a blind date before, but I've seen lots on TV and in the movies, and being canceled on at the last minute just isn't cool. More on that later.

Fast forward to Sunday morning and I'm sliding downhill rapidly. Coughing, high fever, body aches, night sweats, chills, stuffed up head and running nose (how is that possible?), the works. Oh yeah, and my favorite, coughing up a phlegm-balls until they make you gag and vomit. That's a new experience that I definitely could have done without.

By Monday morning I was no better, and probably a little bit worse. The coughing had taken its toll on my body, and coupled with the fact I basically didn't eat on Sunday, I was one sad little puppy. By about 4pm I had worked up the energy to drive a hundred yards to the clinic that's directly next to the townhouse complex I live in (how convenient is that?). I saw a scary looking doctor dude (and one very hot nurse) and after poking and prodding and listening to my chest he wrote me a prescription for antibiotics and left the room. In my confused state I wasn't sure what to do next, but since I didn't have a copay, I just wandered out. I double checked with the receptionist on the way out if I was done, and she confirmed I was and pointed me to their in-house pharmacy. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, I got a five hour bout of diarrhea that left me seriously dehydrated and wishing for Fluffy Bunny brand toilet paper.

I thought I would be better by Tuesday morning, but I was wrong. Not eating, combined with coughing all day and other issues half the night, meant that I basically couldn't move come Tuesday morning. But thankfully, by about 9pm Tuesday night I was merely feeling bad and no longer wondering if my time was up.

Being alone in a strange city while massively sick is no fun.


Post a Comment

<< Home