Monday, November 15, 2004

Robbed!

Yesterday I was planning on moving my trailer from the storage facility to my new house, along with my Miata and some of my garage stuff. I got to the storage facility and opened my trailer's storage box and found that it been broken into and they had stolen my winch, weight distributing hitch, and my floor jack (but not its handle). More stuff was missing, but this was just what I immediately noticed. I was bummed.

I looked around for the owner of the facility and told him what had happened. He said that the guy storing his car behind my trailer was now in jail for robbery and they thought that he, or some of his friends, might have stolen my stuff. He decided to cut the lock on that guy's storage unit so that I could see if any of my stuff was in it -- it wasn't.

I thought that I had my old hitch at the townhouse, so I drove home to look for it and called my coworkers who were going to help me move to tell them that I was going to be late. Turns out that I didn't have my old hitch at the townhouse, it must have been in the trailer's box as well. So I drive back towards the storage facility but make a stop at a local Fleet Farm store to pick up a new hitch and ball. The guys at their auto center were nice enough to wrench it down for me for free.

I got back to the trailer and made a list of stuff taken from the box which also included the tow straps, so I wasn't going to be trailering the Miata to the new house (luckily the Miata runs, but it's not tuned right at the moment, 1400 EGTs at 55mph cruise -- ouch!). Turns out that I also had a set of jack stands in the box that I didn't realize until I got back and started moving stuff from the garage.

The storage facility owner is going to call the Sheriff today to let them know what happen and give them my list of stolen goods so if they find the stuff maybe I'll get it back. He says that this is the first time that anyone has had anything stolen. There were plenty of open trailers with lawn mowers and stuff sitting out as well, so I suppose I was just unlucky. Bad things happen to good people.

I finally got the trailer back to my townhouse two hours later than scheduled so we were only able to make one run to the new house. I was able to get my two work benches down there, some tools, and of course the Miata and trailer. It all fits nicely in the third stall of the detached garage. I wish I could have moved more, but at least I was able to salvage some of the day so it wasn't a total loss (though it will cost me about $1200 to replace all that was stolen).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home