Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Landed Gentry

Yea! I'm now a home owner!

Everything went reasonably smoothly. The big complaints were that they made me sign everything with my middle initial, which is not how I sign my name, so that's a bit awkward. On the signature form that we send to assessor, we wrote my name in a second time, without my middle initial, so that I could sign that one the way I normally do. That way when I send stuff to the state I don't have to remember if I have to sign with my middle initial or not.

The big scare came when they asked if I had a cashier's check for all of the closing funds. A little freaked out, I replied that I had already wired that money into my escrow account, and then they just took my word for it. What, did they forget that there was already $80k in there? It seems slightly unprofessional to ask someone if they have a check for $80k and then take their word for it when they say that they already wired the money. Either you already knew the money was there, in which case you shouldn't have asked for it, or you don't, in which case you don't know how to do your job.

Then they asked me if I had the proof of insurance with me, and I told them no, that the insurance people had already faxed them that information. Then they go to check the fax machine and find that they had received the insurance paperwork from the lender before we even started.

For someone whose sole job it is to keep track of paperwork, they didn't seem to be doing such a great job. I wasn't too impressed.

But, in the end, everything worked out and I got the house. I still don't have the keys for it yet because the current owners need a few more days to move out. They expect to be out by this Sunday, instead of their previously planned next Sunday, so I might actually get to move some stuff before I head to California for Thanksgiving. If so, great, if not, no big deal.

The last issue is that I have to go to the county office and file my homestead claim by Dec 1, saying that I'll be living on the property, so that I get a break on my property taxes. Since I won't actually be done moving by Dec 1 that seems like a bit of a stretch, but everyone at the table said to "just say yes" when asked if I'm living there. Seems like it's a common issue and no one really cares if the house is empty for a few weeks while you get stuff moved about.

Exciting stuff! I'm sure there will be many more updates to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home