Thursday, December 09, 2004

Blind Date

So, as promised, details about the blind date I had on Saturday... I don't remember a whole lot about the night, not because I was drinking, but because I was running a high fever. I probably should have canceled the date, but that's always a heart breaker for the characters on TV, so I decided that I would just have to suck it up. Plus, I wanted to go.

First off, I've never had a blind date before, so this was an interesting experience, and I approached it like most other new things. I researched it on the internet. No, I didn't research her. I researched general do's and don'ts for blind dates and conversation ideas. Nothing amazing there, pretty basic stuff, like avoid religion, politics, saying stupid things; you know the general "don't be an idiot" kind of instructions.

She had picked the restaurant, Chang O'Hara's, which is an interesting kind of fusion restaurant name, but in reality, they just have bar food. Fine by me, but I guess that's a different menu than the last time she was there.

I got there a little early, after having driven past the place twice because their sign isn't lit and their building number is just normal house number size. Clearly they could have done been better. I ordered a Coke and waited at the bar. Jamie, my "date" (or really, I suppose, "the lady I was meeting") arrived promptly at 6pm. I didn't notice her come in because I was staring in the other direction. I hadn't seen her before, but she fit the description, 5'4", neck length blond hair, glasses. Startled, I stood up, shakily, feet crossed up with the bar stool, had to reach down to grab the stool to keep my balance, and hoped that she didn't notice (and think that I'd been sitting there getting drunk all night).

We moved over to a booth and started chatting. I don't remember very well what we talked about, but for the most part it was nothing interesting. We then transitioned into talking about religion and politics and probably other things that we shouldn't have, but that was OK. Turns out that we both think a lot alike, and that's a pretty cool thing.

After more than two and a half hours of talking, we were both getting tired and decided we should call it a night. That's when it got awkward. I wanted to ask her if she had a good time and wanted to do it again. While I was fairly certain that she had had a good time, when I started to ask the question, she curled into an interesting position, sorta hunched over and made herself small, and she suddenly got very quiet. Usually the women help the guys out at this point and finish the sentence if you start it, but she didn't. She just left me hanging. I stammered like a school boy, and slowly finished the sentence. I was relieved to have her immediately answer in the affirmative. We didn't set a second date right then, instead deciding to e-mail on Monday to make arrangements, which was fine by me.

I was able to find my way back to the freeway without issue, and went directly home to become very ill for the next three days.

I'm glad I didn't call off the date/meeting. She is very nice, very intelligent, and has reasonable opinions about many issues. I will enjoy getting to know her better, and I think that the feeling is mutual. Yea for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home