Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Very busy

I haven't been blogging lately because I've been pretty busy, at least for me.

Last week I was on vacation while Mom came out from California to visit and see if Minnesota might be the place for her. We looked at over a dozen houses, seeing one, actually the first, that was really great. Eventually she decided that it wasn't for her, but Minnesota probably was. I think I'll be seeing a lot more of her by the middle of next year.

There's lots of work to be done in my basement to convert it from one giant unfinished room plus a half finished bedroom and turn it into a home theater, wet bar, workout area, and bathroom.

Towards that end I got 6 recessed lights installed, along with their requisite new drop from the main electrical panel, and a dimmer that doesn't seem to be quite useful (the first 50% of the travel basically does nothing).

I then started working on making the walls for the bathroom. Since I don't know what kind of bathroom I want (tub, shower, steam shower, etc.) I don't know how wide to make the room, so I don't know where two of the three walls are supposed to go. That left me with just the back wall which was obvious as to where it needed to go. Unfortunately, there are three drain pipes and two flues where that wall need to be as well. Since I no longer use the tank water heater, I was able to remove its flue and get the flue vent to be no more in the way than the one drain pipe that I was going to have to make a soffet around, so that's cool. I made two mini walls between the drain pipes, did the soffet, had fun with power tools and a powder actuated nailer (drives nails using a 22 caliber-like gunpowder charge).

I also added hot and cold water lines for the wet bar, right next to the drain pipe for the washer, which I plan to cut into as soon as I find a store that sells PVC in increments less than 10' long. Cutting into the existing water lines was fun. I didn't think to leave a faucet running when I turned off the water shutoff so there was a fair amount of pressure when I cut into the lines. No worries, I had a bucket right there and there was little over spray. I then I had to take the pipes off their hangers, so that I could slip insulation over them, which would further drain the pipe and require me to jump off the ladder and run to the bucket to get it under the draining pipe. After doing two water lines with no leaks, I was quite happy.

To round out the vacation I got lots of TV watching in, drove around and looked at some new and used cars (just for fun), and slept in as much as could.

All in all, it was a good vacation, but not nearly long enough. Now I just have to figure out how wide to make the bathroom...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home