Friday, August 19, 2005

Will she learn?

Last night Sara and I decided to do a romantic soak in the tub (hey, that's why I bought the uber water heater!) complete with bubble bath and a couple of candles to set the mood. One for light, and one of the new Glade scented oil candles.

Of course Lucy had to come and check out the bubbles and see what we were up to (generally just relaxing in a hot tub after a long day). Occasionally Lucy would check out one of the candles, but clearly didn't enjoy sniffing the flame. I was worried she might loose a whisker or two, but she seemed to be keeping clear of them. Until she decided that she wanted to check out the glass of ice water we had on hand.

Her tail was perilously close to the flame from the Glade candle, and I could see things going badly in short order. But, I couldn't figure out how to get her tail away from the candle without her tucking it right down into the candle, as lowering her tail is what she does when I attempt to move her or scold her, or whenever she gets nervous. So, as we tried to get her away from the candle, and she decided to stand her ground, her tail went right into the scented oil (which is really just a low melting point wax) and she hopped off the tub with a noticeably weird looking tail. About 30 seconds later the smell of burnt fur wafted through the air, overpowering the light scent of vanilla from the candle.

When Lucy pulled her tail around to sniff it, she recoiled in horror and began to run around the bathroom, unable to retreat from her heavy-with-wax tail. Sara and I cracked up laughing. The combination of pungent odor, death defying fire walking, and uninjured, but clearly freaked, cat was just too funny.

I attempted to touch her tail a few minutes later, but that immediately sent Lucy running for cover. I chased her down and verified that she only had wax stuck to her tail and doesn't appear to be missing much fur, so I doubt there is any serious burn under there.

Later that night, as she lay beside me, she whipped her now significantly heavier tail back and forth clubbing me with it for about 10 minutes during the night. I'm guessing that means she's not actually injured.

Now the question is, can she eat that wax out of her tail, do I try to clip or shave it out, or do I just leave it there? But really, the question I want answered is, did she learn her lesson?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home