Sunday, August 07, 2005

Kickball party

Friday evening my kickball team had its season's end backyard BBQ party. I got there right at 7pm (when the party was supposed to start) because I was told to bring the grill and charcoal and I figured I needed to be there early to get the grill going. It turned out that they already had a grill, but thought that they might need two to keep up with the demand. Turns out that theirs was enough to keep up with demand, but my BBQ utensils were definitely well received.

Two beers on an empty stomach and both Saire (whom I now learn wants to be called Sara) and I are feeling just fine. Sara and I spent a lot of time talking and hanging out together, and I was now pretty sure that she liked me. That the previous weekend's motorcycle ride was more than just friendly, but I still wasn't totally sure because when you begin dating a friend it can be quite confusing in that transition phase. I told her that I got tickets to the Saturday evening St. Paul Saints baseball game from my Realtor Dan (something we had talked about during the motorcycle ride) and Sara accepted. Yea!

I accidentally smacked my drink out of my hand while batting away a mosquito and this meant that I had to go into the cage (a 10'x5' open-topped cage connected to the detached garage where I guess they used to keep a dog) where I would have to wait for 5 minutes, unless someone challenged me to a match of cage dodge ball. Luckily someone did almost immediately, I was able to strike first, and thus secured my freedom from the cage.

After all but 6 people had gone home, some time around midnight, we decided to go to the park a few blocks away and play some kickball. Playing kickball in the dark is quite difficult. Especially when it comes to catching a fly ball, which bounced off of one player before she even realized it was coming to her. A good time was had by all, and apparently we were laughing a bit too loudly. As we were getting to our car the Edina police showed up. Oops.

I initially put my hands in my pockets because that's what I do when I'm nervous, but then decided it would be better to clasp them in front of me. Clearly the cop wasn't too worried as he only ever got one leg out of his car before asked "Are you guys playing kickball or something out here? Because we got a noise complaint." I said yes, apologized for making noise, and clearly we were in the process of leaving. The cop got back in his car and left and we were all relieved, though slighted embarrassed.

I drove Sara back to her car, agreed to pick her up the next day at 5:30 for the baseball game, and drove home very happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home