Sunday, July 24, 2005

Trapped!

Last evening I went outside to check on the state of the lawn (it's doing OK, though there are still a number of brown spots) and Lucy decided to follow me out.

It was hot and humid outside so I didn't want to stay out too long, but Lucy didn't want to come quite so quickly. I left her out unsupervised, hoping that she would want to come back in quickly. Twenty minutes later I was worried because she wasn't waiting to come in. After doing two laps around the house, calling out her name, she finally came out of the bush she was hiding in. I decided that it was time for her to come in. I picked her up, went to the sliding door and put her down, expecting her to go inside. Instead she immediately turned around.

I decided that I'd go back inside and check on her later. Another 20 minutes passed and she's still not waiting at the door. It's starting to get dark, and I'm not looking forward to trying to find a black cat in the dark, so I go back out looking for her.

Calling her name and walking the perimeter of the house (which she likes to stay close to, I don't think she likes the grass, preferring the mulch) I finally heard her. She was doing a non-stop meow and standing in the egress pit for the basement bedroom. The dew on the window told me that she had been scratching at the window. I wondered for how long? But, that answers the question I had. Could she could jump the 4+ feet out of the egress pit? The answer is no (well, maybe she didn't try hard enough).

I jumped down, picked her up and put her on the ledge (briefly wondering if I could jump up) and then got out, scooped her up and took her back inside. Interestingly, she wanted to run right back outside, but I wasn't going to let her.

I was really worried about losing her, I don't think I'm going to be letting her outside too much again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home