Saturday, July 16, 2005

Attic vent

This week has been very warm, if not down right hot. It's been in the high 80's to low 90's every day for going on two weeks now. The humidity adds to the suffering and means that opening a window for a fan is the last thing you want to do. Even if it's cooler outside, it often feels warmer.

Since my HVAC system is doing such a poor job of keeping my upstairs cool (or warm), I decided to buy an attic fan to keep the attic cool and thus keep the house cool. After looking around at various different kinds of attic fans, I decided to go with a gable vent fan. They're easy to install because they don't require you to get on the roof, they move a lot of air, and they're more weather and animal resistant than some of the other options.

Since every house I see has gable ends, I naturally assumed that mine did too. But, you know what they say about assumption... It turns out that I don't actually have a gabled roof, so the $120 worth of fan and vent louvers do me absolutely no good.

At least that means I don't have to go into the stifling hot attic this weekend. Now all I have to do is find my receipt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home