Friday, June 24, 2005

Kickball!

Last Saturday I was at a friend of a friend's party, doing my best to talk to others. Turns out that a few people at the party are in a kickball league (yep, just like what you played in grade school) organized by MUSA. They invited me to come out and play with their team, "Cntr | Alt | Del", and I accepted. They play on Wednesdays at 9pm, so I don't have to leave work early for it, and hey, it's a co-ed league. :-)

We played at Como Park, under the lights on the softball field. Kinda surreal to be playing kickball under kilowatts of artificial light.

We won the rock-paper-scissors face off and elected to be the "home" team. Not having played kickball for, oh, 25 years, I was put in right field. One of the first balls came right too me. I was a little far back, so I came running forward, lost the ball in the lights, tripped over the grass/dirt interface and got a bloody knee and scraped up palms (caught and dropped the ball). It didn't phase me, it made me more intense. This was going to be fun.

A good time was had by (mostly) all. One player on the opposing team was a bit of an ass, which seemed to wind up one of our players a bit and later a tag was made in a rather forceful manner that had people muttering. Disparaging remarks were made, but it wasn't too bad.

In the 7th or 8th inning, I switched to playing second base, feeling confident I could do a decent job of ball handling. Plus I was tired of doing nothing in right field (I only ever got that one ball -- most balls stay well inside the baseline). One man got to first. The next ball was kicked right to me. I ran forward a few feet and waited for it to arc right to me, hoping that it wouldn't bounce off of my hands. I grabbed it for a fly out and looked to my right to find the man who was on first standing just a couple of feet to my left say "Oh, that's not what I wanted to see." I tossed the ball at his back for an easy tag out and double play. Then center fielder asked me if I was going to be here next week. :-) I almost caught the next kick too, but once again, I lost the ball in the lights and it went over me (I got a pinkie on it, but that was it).

We lost, something like 12 to 5, but we all had fun. I know I had fun. Afterwards we went to Dave's, a bar just one block away to get some beers. I stayed until about 11:30pm, chatting with people. They all seem like very nice people, mostly mid-thirties, so there's a real possibility of making some friends. Yea!

I'm already committed to the Fall league, and I'm excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home