Monday, May 30, 2005

Boundary Waters Day 1

Day one, or rather night one, at the Boundary Waters went smoothly and according to plan. I picked up my friends Mike and Jon at the airport, we went to REI for some last minute items (I decided to get the sandals I had been looking at, and a hat to replace the one I own but couldn't find), and then headed followed my PocketPC's GPS based directions to the lodge.

We were stuck in some rush hour traffic leaving Minneapolis since we were leaving around 5:30pm. This is the first rush hour I've been in since moving here. Not bad by CA standards. The GPS software calls out turns and tells you how long you'll go before it calls out the next one. When it said "Proceed north on 35 for 129 miles" I knew we weren't going to make it to the lodge by 9pm.

No matter, they left the door to our bunk house open (just a room with a folding table and two bunk beds of college-student quality -- there was a latrine outside) and we bedded down at about 11:30pm. The beds had only mattresses, the plastic coated kind, so we used our sleeping bags. This would prove to be an issue for me.

Unfortunately for me, people in MN like to smoke, and whatever brand they were smoking I was seriously allergic too. I couldn't breathe through my nose, which left me alternately drooling, tossing and turning, and snoring all through the night.

Hey, if I'm not sleeping, no one else is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home