Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Fireworks

Wow, Minnesotans really like their fireworks. They started launching them off on Friday, and it was pretty much non-stop until about midnight Monday.

One particularly interesting bit was the neighbor kids that lit off one of those spark shooting kinds, braced up against their deck support. As if that wasn't bad enough, their dog made a lunge for it, but was restrained at the last second. Then once it was out, the toddler came over to stamp it out, with his bare feet, just like he had seen the older kids do on the previous fireworks. Well, at least no one was injured, but it was touch and go for a moment.

The local junior high school a block down the street was the location of the Cottage Grove celebration, so I had a great view from my second story bedroom window. The air bursts were so loud, however, that Lucy, my cat, decided that the basement was a better place to be. She didn't have a problem with the personal fireworks, but I guess this was just too much for her.

Monday night was by far the biggest display of personal fireworks that I've ever seen. Four neighbors within five houses of me set off massive displays of aerial fireworks (which are thoroughly illegal in Minnesota, but the police don't seem to care). These fireworks are just slightly smaller versions of what the city was using, but since they were only 50 feet away, they appeared with equal magnitude. A couple of houses even seemed to be synchronized. This was either very impressive, or they both bought the same setup and lit it off at approximately the same time (the latter being my guess). The personal fireworks ran for well over an hour, and it wasn't like it was one at a time. These were full-on fireworks displays with virtually no gaps between air bursts.

All in all, it was quite a display and left me wondering, how much did these guys spend on fireworks? If you told me it was over $1000 each, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, if you told me it was less, I would be surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home