Thursday, August 04, 2005

Dark and stormy night

Wow, last night had to have been the best lightning show I've ever tried to sleep through.

Around 12:30am the skies opened up with fire-hose like rain and non-stop lightning for twenty minutes. The lightning must have been a ways away. It seemed to be more cloud-to-cloud than cloud-to-ground, because I couldn't hear much of the thunder over the furious maelstrom of rain against the windows. It sure did light up the bedroom though -- through my sunlight blocking shades no less.

I've never been in a storm that had non-stop lightning. I would have been impressed if I hadn't been so darn tired and trying to sleep with a pillow over my head.

Lucy didn't seem to mind the weather, just one large thunderclap that was obviously very close made her sit up and pay attention. Actually, I think she was more freaked out by the power going out than by the thunder. How come animals seem to perk up when the power goes out? Is it's sub-audible (for humans at least) humming stopping abruptly a bit of a shocker? Or is it just the noise that so many modern things make when they have their power yanked that freaks them out?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home