Sunday, August 14, 2005

Random Summer Party

Saturday night I had a party, inviting everyone I knew, including my kickball teammates for some drinks, BBQ, s'mores, and fun. Unfortunately only one of my teammates (other than Sara) was able to make it, and a few of my coworkers weren't able to make it either. But, it was definitely the best turnout that I've had at any of my parties. It was probably the right amount of people for the size of the house, it wasn't too crowded and it wasn't too sparse.

As usual, I had way too much food and soda, though not enough of the "right" kind of beer for a summer party. Apparently a summer party calls for a lighter kind of beer than Sam Adams Lager. But that's OK, since we also needed tonic water and there is a liquor store only two blocks away. The tonic and proper beer were acquired and everyone was happy.

Many thanks go out to my coworker Sean for tending the BBQ all night while I played host and showed people around the house. He did this, without complaint, the day after having worked all night BBQ'ing at his father's business in Hudson. All of the food was cooked to perfection, and the biggest complaint seemed to have been that I didn't have any BBQ sauce for the chicken.

Since it was the day after my friend Amanda's birthday, and a week before my friend Dave's birthday, I was going to have two cakes on hand for a muted celebration. I was going to bake a Devil's Food cake for Amanda, and Sara was going to bake a yellow cake with "yummy" icing for Dave and we were going to have a contest to see what's better, cake from a box, or home-made cake. However, with the time pressures of late, I wasn't even able to make a cake from a box. Sara, on the other hand, brought all the needed ingredients to my place and baked a yummy cake while guests slowly arrived. I called the local bakery the day before to get a chocolate cake with only frosting in the middle (because Amanda doesn't like icing).

Everyone agreed that Sara's cake was better than the bakery's cake, though I personally like chocolate cake better than yellow cake. However, judging by the fact that only Amanda and I had any of the huge 12" double layer chocolate cake, it was clear that Sara's cake was the runaway favorite. Or maybe it was the yummy icing that put hers over the top.

As the sun went down and it started to get cold, I fired up the copper fire bowl which did a good job of keeping those near it warm and providing ambiance. Not to mention the ability to cook marshmallows for s'mores.

In the end, it was just Trevor and Sean (a couple of coworkers), Sean's wife Stacia, Sara, and I sitting around the fire bowl looking for shooting starts from the Persius meteor shower and shooting the breeze. Sean was able to spot a few shooting stars, while I was attempting to stay out of the smoke of the fire. I wasn't very successful as my still burning eyes will attest to.

All in all, it was a great party that I believe everyone enjoyed. Unfortunately, now I have to clean up the mess.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Where are the pictures?

Thank you,
Danielle

8:58 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

The beer needed to be lighter than a lager?

1:12 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

No pictures were taken during the party...

Yeah, people were actually drinking Miller Lite! And liking it!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home