Sunday, September 11, 2005

Little party

Last night Sara had a little birthday party for herself at my place. Her actual birthday is Sept 19, but I guess she's busy that day so planned it for the 10th instead.

She invited a bunch of her friends, and I invited a couple of coworkers. Unfortunately, it appeared that several other people were having parties that night, so she didn't get a great turnout, and several people had to leave early to go to other parties.

It was a Mardi Gras themed party, planned long before Hurricane Katrina, so I got Hurricane glasses, the fixings to make Hurricanes, and 190 proof Everclear to soak Maraschino cherries in to go onto the umbrella in the Hurricane. Everclear is not legal for sale in Minnesota, but luckily I work in Wisconsin where it is legal for sale. When I told the young girl working the register that fact she replied "No wonder why so many people come in here and ask for it!"

The party went slowly at first, but eventually had a good turnout and people were talking and having fun. No one wanted to make the first slice into the homemade cheesecake (which is a pretty common thing for Minnesota), so after an appropriate amount of time I made the first cuts, took a big (yummy) slice for myself, and moved it to a prominent position on a table whereupon it was quickly devoured.

Towards the end of the evening, I was slicing some bread with my meat carving knife. The hard crusted bread made starting the cut difficult since the carving knife doesn't have a point. I had my fingers curled back and against the blade, but when it slipped, it still managed to embed itself into my left index finger's nail. Apparently quite deeply since it didn't stop bleeding for more than 10 minutes. If it hadn't been under the nail it would probably need a stitch, but I'm hoping some compression bandaids will prevent scarring and a permanently mangled fingernail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home