Monday, August 29, 2005

1840's rules baseball

A week ago Saturday Sara and I made a 115 mile trek north to Bruno on the motorcycle to watch her friends play in an 1840 rules baseball game.

Sara made the mistake of not having proper shoes or a jacket for the ride. I thought that she was going to at least be wearing her long sleeved shirt, but first thing when we stopped for gas she took that off, leaving her wearing just a tank top. I wasn't super thrilled about her not having proper riding gear, but I've seen people wearing a whole lot less out here, and the freeway is safest place for a motorcyclist.

We started out going up highway 61, through East Saint Paul (a rather tough section of town), saw some mounted police (who waved back to us), but decided to get onto highway 35 North as we were averaging only about 35mph going along highway 61 (which is probably the original freeway before the interstate was put in) because of all of the towns with stop lights.

The baseball game was interesting. It would be easily recognized as baseball, though there are no strikes or balls and only a home "plate" umpire. The pitcher throws until you hit the ball fair (so if you aren't getting good pitches you can ask him to pitch it to a certain place over the plate) or a foul is caught. No one has a glove, but the ball is rather soft and bouncy, so catching it on a single bounce is also a fly out. When you score a run, you have to ring a little bell, apparently so that the scorekeeper notices.

We were worried that we didn't have any sunscreen, and before the game was over I noticed that I had sunburn on the back of my hands (I wasn't wearing gloves because Sara wasn't wearing a jacket -- a sort of reminder) and Sara was worried about my head (not a lot of hair up there anymore). She claimed that she didn't sunburn, though she was interested in getting some sunscreen for herself. We couldn't find the general store in the town of 102, and decided to grin and bear it.

By the time we got home, Sara's back was lobster red and she spent the following week nursing it with lotion. Luckily for us, the helmet's visors are UV treated so we didn't get sunburned on our faces (though I got some on the top of my head while watching baseball).

Interestingly enough, when her skin flakes off, it removes the tan and exposes the burn again. I say interesting, because when my burns flake off, I'm still tan underneath, so I didn't realize that it worked any other way.

Sara has definitely learned her lesson. No matter how warm it might be, it's not worth it to not have a jacket, for more than one reason.

I decided that I needed a top case for the motorcycle so that I could cary important things, like sun tan lotion, and have a place to store jackets when we get to where we're going.

1 Comments:

Blogger s. p. stanley said...

Gotta moisturize to keep the tan through a peel! Drink water and use lotion for best results.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home