Monday, August 29, 2005

Moving and appliances

This weekend was quite a busy weekend, and I'm still feeling its effects.

It started out early Saturday (around 7:30am) morning when Sara and I drove to Saint Paul to help a couple of her friends move from their very small second floor apartment to a much bigger three bedroom house a short distance away.

The first order of business was to pick up bagels for us and the "crew" of friends. I wanted cinnamon sugar bagels. I ordered two for myself while Sara was on the phone with her friend, who apparently also wanted a cinnamon sugar bagel. Sara thought I heard this and that's why I was ordering two cinnamon sugar bagels. Apparently she didn't realize that I just need that much sugar to get me going in the morning. So, of course, after I had eaten both bagels before we got to her friend's house, the only thing left to do was to go back to the bagel store and pick up two more.

The little one bedroom apartment was jam packed with stuff in boxes (some well packed, some not so well packed), bags, and other random containers. A lot of the bigger furniture was trapped behind the boxes. I didn't even realize that they had a storage locker that was apparently jam packed as well.

I moved the box spring mattress and half a dozen garment boxes down to the truck, and then decided that I would be the one to stay inside the hot and stale-air truck and arrange stuff as the other three or four friends brought stuff down from their apartment. I think this was probably the best arrangement as I was, to everyone's amazement, able to cram basically everything into the moderately sized U-Haul enabling us to do it all in just one trip. The hardest part was that it seemed that every box was labeled "Fragile", "Very Fragile", or "Extremely Fragile". Can you stack very fragile on top of fragile? I hope so.

After helping to unload all of the items (which always takes like one tenth the amount of time of loading) we were treated to "Hot Dish" which was best described as macaroni and cheese with spicy sausage and a thick cheese crust. For desert there was a chocolate cake with a yummy bottom layer of chocolate chips and sweet stuff (marshmallow?).

After getting home and cleaning up, Sara and I headed out to look at appliances, specifically ranges, but I cant help being attracted to other shiny things in an appliance store. The idea behind that was that she keeps saying that I should get a Viking range, while I prefer the (much) less expensive Jenn-Air ranges, specifically for their gas grill option. By the time we had left the appliance showroom I think she was convinced that we could get a whole lot more kitchen if we went with appliances other than those by Viking, and they would be able to cook food probably just as well. If we're going to be doing a lot of cooking at home (which it's seeming like we might be doing) I think I might order that Jenn-Air sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, I've been so busy over the past few weeks that I haven't been able to complete this blog entry until now (two weeks later). The worst part is, I'm sure there was something else that happend that weekend (like a party or something), but now I can't remember it! Oh well, it couldn't have been that interesting, right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

hey mark,
talk to me about jenn airs before ya spend the dough.

Pete

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home