Friday, March 18, 2005

St. Pat's

Yesterday was St. Patrick's day, as most of you probably know. I've never been into the festival party nights thing before, but figured it would be worth it to get out to St. Paul because it's a big Irish town. Who knows, I might actually have fun!

The threat of 6 inches of snow had me a little worried, but it turns out that it was unfounded. I got home about 1am and it still hadn't even clouded up yet.

The evening started slowly and ended slowly, but the middle was quite entertaining. I met a coworker's wife in St. Paul, at the Starbucks she manages. She was to be my "wing woman", kinda like a wingman, but less hostile to the ladies you're trying to talk to, or so the theory goes. We had some beers and waited for another coworker to arrive so we could go to O'Gara's, where the real action was likely to be.

O'Gara's was packed, and the overflow was in the giant tent they had set up in their parking lot. We picked up some beers in the tent, I got a O'Gara's T-shirt to cover my basic geek work attire, and then we waited in line for ten minutes to get into the pub.

There was a two person band, playing rather badly, that we listened to for a couple of songs while scoping out the crowd. There were a number of lovely ladies standing/sitting around, but it was still early in the night. I was too sober, and they didn't have on the right prescription beer goggles yet.

After a couple of beers, we made our way back to the now very crowded bar and ordered another round. Behind us were two lovely 22-year olds waiting to get another beer as well. My coworker turned to them and said "Hi. This is Mark. You should talk to him." and just like that, I turned beet red.

A couple of awkward moments, a few questions of the form "Why should I talk to Mark?", some hasty replies and the conversation was rolling. They both had boyfriends (well, one was engaged), but were otherwise quite pleasant to talk to. They were intelligent and able to maintain their side of the conversation. That's the best I could have asked for, given the circumstances, and the general level inebriation, so I was happy.

Tonight I go back to O'Gara's see a good band play, and maybe I'll take advantages of lessons learned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home