Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Ego Boost

Today I got an ego boost from an unlikely source, my previous employer. I got a call from a group saying that my name was at the top of a short list of people that they would like to interview to be a lead engineer for their next great "killer" product.

I'm flattered by the offer, and I'm thinking I'd like to know more about the situation, but ultimately, I think that the things that caused me to leave California for Minnesota, will keep me in Minnesota. I'm reminded that traffic is way better here, housing prices are reasonable, and we have a full set of seasons, among other intangibles.

I'm also reminded, more importantly, that my new company is offering me the opportunity to control the creation of a new line hardware devices, and the software drivers that go with them (for Mac and Windows even!). While these products probably won't ever have the name recognition of what my previous company is offering, they aren't going to ruin my life with stress either. And I think that's the really important part.

Well, I'm going to think about it some more, but I don't think that will change my opinion -- but it's definitely food for thought.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

(deleted previous version of this comment thinking I could cleanly add more sentences to a new comment)

It seems they are calling a number of people for that project. There is no way I am moving back to Silicon Valley (though not because I love seasons). I figure if they stay interested after actually looking at my résumé, I'll let them reveal as much about the project as they dare, just out of curiosity. But they won't want me, because they've been misled about my skills, and for that reason I wouldn't want them either.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home