Sunday, January 30, 2005

Saturday Night Fun

Saturday night's fun spilled into Sunday morning, and I'm still recovering, but the lost sleep is definitely worth it.

It all started with Dave's winter party, which I was fashionably late to (it started at 6, I got there about 8). I knew it was going to be a long day, and I was tired already, so I took a three hour nap before the party. This left me rather groggy in the early evening. so groggy in fact that I made multiple wrong turns, including getting on a freeway that takes me nowhere near Dave's house, on the way to Dave's house.

There was a fair crowd in Dave's modestly sized house, though there weren't many people that I knew. However, Dave's friends are a very easy going bunch and I was able to talk with many people and have a generally good time.

At one point in the evening some lady stormed out of the house, which was a rather interesting event. At first we weren't sure if she was just in a hurry to leave, or if some sort of "incident" had happened. After a little talking amongst ourselves, we believe it was the latter, some sort of bad feelings over her blog not being mentioned on Dave's blog-roll. Huh? We're guessing she was drunk at the time. I'm thinking, "Damn, that's an unhappy drunk."

I left the party, which was winding down, but still had some legs, at about 11:30pm so I could go to a midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This show was put on by the Transvestite Soup organization, which makes sense once you see the movie and listen to the chatter during the pool scene.

My main reasons for going were twofold, one, I had been invited by lovely lady that works in the crew for the show (there are actors that mimic the on screen action, and she crews for them), and two, I had never seen the show but had always wanted to. Plus, there was supposed to be an after party and that seemed like a good place to meet interesting people (the lovely lady being 18 and otherwise involved).

The Show is quite interesting, though I wasn't expecting to be part of it... If you've never been to the Show before, you're considered a "virgin" and must be "initiated". The initiation is to recite the Pledge at the top of your lungs and then having everyone yell "F*ck You!" at you to remove you of your virginity. A few lucky people of age, two men and two women, are brought on stage for further humiliation.

Since I was known by a member of the cast, there was no way I could avoid any of this, and of course was singled out to be brought on stage. Now imagine me, 33 wearing my blue/purple REI fleece jacket with PocketPC on one hip and cell phone on the other, in a crowd of Goth teenagers and 20-somethings. "Out of place" seems to be a bit of an understanding, and even without having had anything but caffeine beverages that night, I'm game and having fun.

Then we're told that we're going to be judged on our ability to fake an orgasm, and I was to go first. Oh boy. Talk about performance anxiety. The only saving grace is that the spot light on you pretty much blinds you to the hundred people in the audience. Being the smart Alec that I am, I tried to stall with witty comments as best I could. I believe I mentioned something about performance anxiety being "a common problem with middle aged men", and "it's been so long, I don't remember". That provoked a lovely lady to come up, straddle me and give me a little something to jog my memory. I grabbed the mic, did some heavy breathing, a little moaning, and a small sigh to end it.

Amazingly, the three teenagers to my left couldn't do any better, and one of the girls couldn't perform at all. The audience clearly gave me the loudest ovation and I won the prize -- dried kelp sushi wrap. I think it means something, but I don't know what.

The Show was very interesting, though renting it is probably a good idea so I can get a better understanding of the dialog without everyone yelling random comments at the screen. It turns out that the after party was canceled, but it should be on again next week. I plan on going back, especially since I'm no longer a "virgin" and things should be far less traumatic next time. Good time. I highly recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home