Friday, January 14, 2005

Found it

Last night I decided to take another crack at trying to find the drill bit in the basement. After 20 minutes of searching, I decided that I needed to cut a bigger hole in the I-beam so I could get more of my hand in to search for it. I got out the Rotozip, but the only bit I had (for plaster & lath) wouldn't go through the OSB of the I-beam.

I decided that the sawsall was the way to go and went out to the detached garage to get it. It was then that I found the drill bit. It was poking out the side of the house. Doh!

Those 54" long flexible drill bits have a habit of going off in a direction you don't want them to go, but I'm pretty good at keeping them under control. Not this time though.

Having a 1" hole in the outside of the house when it's going to be -20F to -5F for the next few days isn't a great thing, but the insulation in the wall is doing a decent job of keeping the drafts out. I'll get some insulating foam to fill up the hole as soon as it gets a little warmer. In the mean time, I'm not too worried.

I pulled the drill bit back out of the wall and made a second attempt at getting it into the basement, and this time I think I've done it. When poking around with my coat hanger I hear a little "clink" that I didn't hear before, so I'm pretty sure that's the drill bit. However, I still can't grab the stupid thing. A friend from work is going to help me Saturday, so I hope to have this whole ugly episode over and done with by Saturday afternoon.

Hopefully the remaining cable runs won't be nearly so frustrating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home