Monday, January 10, 2005

Home Depot == Big Brother?

The other day I went to the local Home Depot to return a couple of items that I had bought but didn't need. I have a stack of receipts, but didn't grab the right one for one item (a duplex outlet cover). I was informed of this fact at the return desk. I was thinking, I'd not return it then and would come back when I found the right receipt.

The lady handling the return asked if I wanted store credit (for 49 cents?, I'd rather find the receipt) or if I had the credit card that I had originally bought the item (at another Home Depot store) with. I had the credit card, but wondered how that would help the situation. She informed me that they can look up all of my receipts based on the credit card I used to buy them (not just if I used a Home Depot credit card) as she swiped my card.

"Yep" she replied, "that's the card you used". And the return was processed and the credit put back on my card.

I replied "Wow, that's a bit Orwellian." Realizing that Home Depot now keeps track of everything I've bought, and which credit card I've bought it with (why?).

To which she replied "Yeah, it's really convenient."

Ouch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Hi Mark,

I found one of your previous posts about buying a Focus SVT. I was curious as to what your insurance is like and who you go through. My name is Luke. My email is fine_69stang@hotmail.com. If you could write me back that would be great. Thanks.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home