Saturday, January 01, 2005

Vacation chores

I had this week off, and so did my mom, so she came out to visit me, help me with some minor house chores, and to check out the area.

The chores were pretty basic, I didn't want to impose too much on her. I installed three new outlets in the bathrooms so that I could plug in two towel warmers (one for each bathroom) and my Toto heated toilet seat. Gotta have that heated toilet seat. It's not like the house is all that cold, but once you've had heated seat, you never want to go back. I even had to buy a new toilet, elliptical in shape, to replace the round bowl, so that I could install the heated seat. But, I digress. She only had to fish the electrical wires out of the wall when I dropped them down from the attic, so I didn't work mom too hard.

She helped me move my big-screen TV around so that I could build a couple of boxes to raise it up enough to get my new Infinity center channel speaker under the TV. That raised the TV about nine inches, which is probably about two inches too far, so I decided to make a shelf that I could hang on the wall behind the TV to hold the speaker (the top of the TV is only about an inch wide, so balancing the speaker on it wasn't what I wanted to do with such an expensive speaker).

We also did a lot of shopping, or at least window shopping (though what I did buy was quite expensive). We looked at lots of different furniture stores. Some speciality stores, like the Amish store, or the bedroom store. Others were general home furnishing stores. I almost bought a Drexel Heritage dining room table, but decided that I didn't need one right away (and it was rather expensive). I did, however, buy a (rather) expensive home gym since I can't use the one at the townhouse complex anymore. That cost about as much as a two year membership at the local club, but I'm hoping I'll get more use out of it (though I loose the personal interaction a gym offers, but I didn't really use that anyway). I also got a setup to turn my mountain bike into a stationary bicycle, so I can do both weights and cardio work in the warmth of my basement bedroom.

Mom was nice enough to buy me birthday/Christmas/house warming present of a Zenith 15" LCD HDTV that I can mount on the wall to watch while working out. Very nice.

All in all, it was a very nice and productive vacation. I got to see mom, didn't work her or myself to death (if you don't count Christmas morning when we shoveled the driveway and sidewalk), and got to actually do some vacationing. It could have been longer, but I think I'll be reasonably rested when I have to go back to work on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home