Thursday, January 20, 2005

You've got to be kidding

Today was the first day I actually yelled at one of my coworkers. It was mainly for effect, but I was kinda mad at the time too.

We were talking about how the Janet Jackson "incident" during last year's Superbowl was a "terrible" thing. I, obviously, argued the con position.

Just for reference, here are some pictures (moving and still) of Janet so you can refresh your memory of what all the fuss is about. The initial picture is a quite large HDTV still of her breast, be warned. Farther down on the page is a screen shot from a TiVo which accurately reflects what 99% of viewers would have seen, had they had the ability to freeze frame and frame by frame advance until her breast was maximally visible. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I've seen more skin in a host of TV commercials.

My contention is that if you have no problem with 3+ hours of man-on-man violence and a seemingly unending stream of erectile dysfunction commercials, but are shocked by one woman's mostly covered breast seen from 100 yards away on TV, then there's something wrong with you and your so called morals.

I was expecting that my Catholic coworker would have an issue with violence, since after all, Jesus preached love, not war. Football is a game of war. It's all about defending your home (end zone) and attacking your opponent's home territory. Yes, it's a watered down version of war, but it still has "bombs". Instead, he says that he has a problem with the female form, but not erectile dysfunction commercials or massive amounts of violence.

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with any of it, but if I had to choose between violence or nudity on TV, I'd choose nudity every time. I can't believe that a father of three would rather show his children an unending stream of violence rather than the human body or two people expressing their love for each other. Shooting, beating, stabbing, or killing each other is fine, but heaven forbid we show two people actually loving each other.

And basically that's what all the yelling was about.

1 Comments:

Blogger swamp4me said...

You present a sound and reasonable argument -- yell away!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home