Friday, January 21, 2005

Let it snow!

Today we are set to get 6 to 8 inches of snow, and the leading edge of the storm is just beginning to drop some of the white stuff. The first real snowfall of the season. However, this will barely make a dent in our 24 inch deficit. This is driest winter in the last 114 years!

I'm looking forward to it. I've got the snow wipers (which as far as I can tell are normal wipers with rubber surrounding the metal spring part, presumably to keep the snow from getting inside the wiper and freezing it to your cowl), I've got the de-icing fluid and a little scraper if the fluid isn't enough. I still need to get some salt, and maybe a collapsible shovel, but I'm probably safe as it is.

Yesterday we got an inch or so, just enough of a reason to get the snow thrower out. I'm getting better with it. It usually only takes me one pass to figure out which direction the wind is blowing, and I didn't have to go over any spots more than once. We'll see how it handles the real snow tomorrow, but I'm sure it will do fine.

I want to practice my snow driving, and hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow. I tried yesterday while out for lunch and found that the back end of the Focus just doesn't want to rotate. That's not unexpected, but what was is the fact that if you use the parking brake to try to rotate the back, if you even touch the brake pedal the ABS will kick in. This was unexpected, but I'm sure it's an edge case for the ABS computer. I want a "hey, I know what I'm doing button", but the only such button disables the traction control, not the ABS. Oh well, I'm sure I can work around it, and maybe it's not even an issue. I need a bigger parking lot to find out. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home