Monday, October 24, 2005

Blog spam

Guy complained about blog spam a while ago, and it's finally gotten to the point where I'm going to turn off anonymous commenting as well.

Blog spam is really lame, just like regular spam, only I personally think it's even more lame than regular spam. It seems that there are bots (automated programs) running that are just looking for blog changes. When they find them, they immediately post a comment about their own topic (which would have nothing to do with the original blog entry) to the new blog entry. This ends up sending me a mail, and presumably anyone searching Google or the like would find their comment and their link.

I've noticed that for the most part blogger.com has been pretty good at automatically removing the bogus comments, but I still get the e-mail and that's pretty annoying. I then go in and delete the comment so that no one gets a chance to read it, and that's beginning to be a hassle.

So, the first step is turn off anonymous commenting and hope that helps. If that doesn't help, then I'll turn off commenting all together and you'll just have to e-mail me your comments. Safe bet that if I actually want to hear your comments, you already know my e-mail address. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home