Sunday, October 03, 2004

New toys

Last night I finally broke down and got a new cell phone. That whole "number portability" thing is a myth. You can only take your number with you if you don't move. And since number portability, they no longer let you choose your phone number (not even from a list of possible choices like the real phone company does). At least the new number is reasonably easy to remember, and now that I have a 651 area code, people around here will stop freaking out. Change is good, right?

I got a Motorola v505 from AT&T Wireless, soon to be bought by and become Cingular. It's a way cool phone with Bluetooth, a 640x480 camera, and the ability to act as a connection for my PowerBook and PocketPC to the Internet. To top off the setup, I also got a Bluetooth headset for that cool hands free experience.

After much fussing around, and rebooting both the phone and PocketPC for seemingly no good reason, I was able to get the PocketPC to talk to the phone so that I could transfer pictures from the phone to PocketPC. I was also able to get PocketPC to command the phone to dial, but that's where I ran into one very large problem. The phone can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time. This means that as soon as I get the PocketPC to dial the phone, I have to immediately turn off the PocketPC and turn on the headset. Even then, the person on the other end probably thinks I'm a telemarketer since it takes probably 10 seconds for the headset to start working with the phone and the person on the other end to hear me.

I guess I'll have to live with having the PocketPC dial and beginning the conversation with the phone and then switch to the headset. Or, if you happen to get a call from the 651 area code with seemingly no one there, give it a few seconds, won't ya?

To make matters even worse with the new phone, iSync doesn't work with Motorola phones via Bluetooth (though it does work via USB). This isn't the first product that Motorola has made that should work with the Mac but doesn't, and that seems like a shame. Doesn't it? It's things like this where I really value my PC since things like this actually work together much better and with greater functionality. Seems like a shame, but I guess Apple can't do it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home