Saturday, September 25, 2004

Gasthaus

Last night after work four coworkers and I went to Mike's house (one of those coworkers) for a BBQ dinner and then we went on to the Gasthaus for some beer and standing around. The parking was totally country, parking out in a rolling hay field, along with probably 200 other cars ("Everyone remember where we parked!"). It only would have been more country if the party was out in the field. It was great. I loved it.

There was lots of standing around and talking shop since God knows I'm not going to be dancing the chicken dance any time soon (though by the end of the night I was in for one round of the Hokey-Pokey). There was plenty of people watching to be had, and the music was entertaining, even if the accordion was rather loud. By the end of the night, Mike was dancing with some lovely drunk lady who was really quite nice. We were quite amazed that her husband didn't seem to mind at all. Mike can dance reasonably well considering how drunk he was. I was impressed.

They had beer in commemorative 1L mugs for $19 which were only $8 to refill. I only had one and then turned to the free Pepsi, but clearly most of the crowd was there to take them up on their generous refill offers. I hope they all got home OK.

No luck on the girl front that night. There were plenty of them standing around, but the crowd seemed to be evenly split by the 20-somethings looking for mass quantities of cheap beer and the 40-plus-somethings looking to listen to polka music and pretend they're doing Oktoberfest. Oh well, it was fun to get out, and I certainly needed to unwind. I'd like to go back, but it's not one of those things that I'd feel comfortable doing by myself.

Today I'll be doing the daytime version of the Okoberfest thing at the St. Paul Saints ballpark with different friends. Unclear on what the people watching will be like there, but it gets me out of the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home