Monday, September 13, 2004

Still nothing

Still no cable at my place. The tech came out on Saturday and was amazed that I was able to get any picture at all. He tested the outlets and the main splitter in the garage then went out to main cable branch in the front lawn. There he saw that the plastic inner ring of the cable connector was pinched and pronounced that the cause. He switched my connection to an unused one and we went back inside to check the signal.

Yay! I had a clean picture and I could an IP from comcast, instead of what seemed like one from my neighbor (I was getting an IP address of 192.168.100.3, which looks suspiciously like a NAT'ed address from a LinkSys router -- not the 24.X.X.X address I normally get from Comcast). He wrote up the work order and I signed it all happy that I had TV and internet.

Twenty minutes later it was all gone. It was like someone hit a light switch. The TV went to static and the internet connection was lost. I called Comcast, but they didn't think the tech would be able to come back out. I wined and they sent a message to dispatch, who said they would call me if he could make it back out. So I waited by the phone all day, instead of looking at houses, for a call that never came.

Later in the day I called back and got scheduled for Monday from 3-5pm, so I'm at work bright and early so I can get out of here to meet him this afternoon. Some how I don't have a good feeling about this being permanently fixed this afternoon.

On the bright side, the digital cable is still working, so I was able to watch some TV, and I was able to watch the Lions vs. Bears in HDTV. Amazing picture, you're able to make out individual blades of grass on the field. Of course, when it came time for the Vikings to play, the HDTV signal went black. I feared that the game was being blacked out, but the non-HD FOX channel was showing it (though because of my cable problem, with a picture so bad I could hardly make out anything). I don't know why the HDTV FOX channel was just tone bars. In theory, they're both the same station. Nothing works, and it seems that no one cares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home