Thursday, September 23, 2004

Lost

Yesterday was pretty uneventful, which was good. Looks like the problem that we've been tracking down for the last couple of weeks was a bug in the application we were testing with. That kinda explains why nothing we did in the driver seemed to affect it. Well, now we know.

The guys at work needed some specialized music rack parts, which we should have been able to buy at a local guitar store, or make. Seemed that buying them would be easier, so we called around and found a store that had what we needed. It's a little bit past where I live, so I offered to get them as a way to learn more about the town I'm living in. Directions from Yahoo were good, and luckily when the road was closed, it turned out that I needed to get off at that point anyway. Whew, I was really worried that I was going to be lost in a not so lovely part of St. Paul.

Unfortunately, the store lied about actually having the parts. Serves us right. Next time we call, we need to make sure they can put their hands on the parts, not just look up their inventory list in a computer. Computers are OK, but I don't think I've ever met an inventory control system that I actually trusted.

I also printed out directions from the guitar store to a little computer store that a coworker recommended. I've been meaning to get more memory for my PC since it seems to be paging a whole lot. I figured while I was in there I should look at new Pentium processors since my lowly 2.4GHz CPU just doesn't seem to be keeping up with all the video and server things I'm asking my PC to do. On the way to the store, which I was told was a little hole in the wall kind of store, I got confused as the numbers changed directions, looked down and noticed I was 10mph over the limit. I hit the brakes and looked up only to notice a cop with a radar gun out his window. I tried to look innocent, and about 50 feet later found the store I was looking for. By the time I was parked, the cop had someone pulled over right in front of the store. Whew.

On the way home from the store I forgot where I lived and got on the freeway going west instead of east. Oops. Got off at the next exit, which is for U of M, and then through some good luck and lack of worry was able to work my way back to the freeway through a maze of twisting one way streets and 5 way intersections. I thought I was lost for sure, ready to break out the GPS, but a little faith (and knowledge that there are freeways everywhere in downtown St. Paul).

Back home I tuned in to the season premier of Lost which I was thinking might be a good version of those lost-on-a-tropical-island type shows. It started out well, but then it got weird with some giant monster knocking down trees in the jungle in the middle of the night. Now I'm thinking, is this Land of the Lost? Ugh, I was hoping this would be a good "people" show, but now it's looking like a "thing" show. Well, I'll give it another couple of episodes before I go looking for other prime time shows to keep me entertained.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home