Monday, September 13, 2004

Cottage Grove

Yea! I have internet again! It turns out that the townhouse on the end of the building had their cable hooked up (probably illegally, but perhaps it was just left connected when the last tenant moved out -- yeah, right!), and when it's hooked up, my cable goes to H#ll, no picture and no internet. Who knows what they're doing in there, but it certainly isn't right.

What I wanted to post the other day was...

Went out the other night with my realtor and the builder's rep and looked at models and lots in a development in Cottage Grove, a suburb of St. Paul, almost directly south of where I am in Woodbury. Seemed like a nice enough community, and I really liked a couple of the models; though their garages weren't large enough, and most of the basements weren't large enough either, and I didn't like any of the remaining lots. But, other than that they were nice, so things are starting to look up.

This Saturday begins the Parade of Homes in the area, and there are a bunch of model houses in my price range in Woodbury and Cottage Grove, so I think I'll be going out this weekend and looking at houses, but without my realtor as he's got other things to do. This might be an issue as some builders don't want to pay realtors if they're not there on the first showing of a property, so I need to let them know that I have a realtor and give them his info. If it's an issue, I'll just find a different builder, it's not like I'm likely to find a model that I absolutely have to have.

One of the houses that I want to look at uses pre-stressed concrete tubes to clear span the space under the garage (which normally isn't dug out at all). That would be really cool, giving me an extra 600-700 square feet in the basement and making a perfect home theater room. I'll be interested in seeing how much that adds to the price of the house.

Yesterday I got a community education catalog and it actually had a bunch of classes that sounded interesting, so I signed up for five classes that start next week. They're all just one day classes, and there are bunch more that I'd like to take, so I'm using these classes to know if the rest are worth taking. Next Friday and Saturday I'll be taking a couple of different woodworking classes, and then after that a cooking class and a couple of financial classes. I'm also hoping that these classes work as a way to get me out of work at a reasonable time (like after only 10 hours instead of the 15-16 hours that I seem to be doing lately) since I seem to be slowly working longer and longer hours. Great for them, not so great for me. I guess I would be a little less bitter if my boss didn't sound so sad when I call him to tell him that I'm going home after working 15 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home