Wednesday, September 15, 2004

ReplayTV Rules!

I have a couple of ReplayTV units, and I think they are really cool. I like them better than the DirecTivo that I used to have, though the DirecTivo certainly has it strong points and I was very happy with it. But, it just can't do the cool things that the ReplayTV can, or at least not so easily.

The coolest thing about the ReplayTV is the third party, free, software DVArchive. It uses a computer and the storage attached to that computer (which can be multiple different hard drives) to store shows from all of ReplayTV units you have in your house, copying the shows over at scheduled intervals. The ability to watch a show recorded on another ReplayTV is already built into the ReplayTV, so the PC just pretends to be another ReplayTV on your network.

But that's not the coolest thing... It can also give your ReplayTV a web interface by acting as a proxy for all your ReplayTV units. So, I set up my router to work with DynDNS.org so that I have a permanent name to get to my house, even though I get a dynamic IP address from ISP, and now I can tell my ReplayTVs to record a show if I'm not going to be home (which seems to be happening more and more lately as I get stuck working on super hard problems at work) as well as see what it's planning on recording, delete recordings I'm not going to watch, and do other house keeping chores remotely.

It even works from my PocketPC! Very cool. Next on the list of cool toys to have will be a new Motorola v600 with Bluetooth so that I can use the PocketPC to get to my ReplayTV from anywhere in the country (and Canada too!).

The next thing to do will be set up the PC so that I can control it remotely, and then to set up the house using X10 or similar products so that I can control it remotely. Better living through modern technology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home