Sunday, September 26, 2004

Lazy weekend

Yesterday I wanted to take it easy. I was to meet up with my friend Dave and do a beer tasting at the St. Paul Saints' baseball park. I started the day by watching some TV, trying to empty my now almost full 250 gig hard drive. I met up Dave for beer tasting and a tailgating at the park. I was looking forward to the tailgating part, since I hadn't had breakfast or lunch yet. However, Dan, my realtor called before the tailgating competition began, and before I could even get a taste of any beer (no loss there really). So I was off to look at some houses.

I met Dan in Eagan at a real estate office and we were off to head down south to check out models in what seemed like Iowa. I'm pretty sure it would have been an hour and a half commute to work only if no one else was on the road. Clearly we weren't here to look at actual properties, but to get ideas of things that I might like in a future house.

I like the "great room" concept, where you get one large room, probably to used as the family room, with high ceilings. It really opens up the house, though it definitely cuts down on the square footage of the house. Another feature that I really liked is the wall of windows that a couple of places had. Basically they had 8 to 12 windows in the great room so that you have floor to ceiling windows on one wall. This may be an idea that better to look at than live with, but assuming double or triple pane glass, low-e coating, the correct orientation to the sun, and a decent view, it could really be a cool feature. However, the two houses I saw with such setups just looked across at their neighbors. That would require a lot of drapes.

Today I tried for a very lazy Sunday. I watched even more TV, catching up my reality shows that have just begun (Survivor and The Apprentice) as well as some racing from last week (which really eats up precious disk space because it's recorded at the highest quality possible). I got down to the gym to bicycle for 30 minutes. This is something that I need to get much better at. I've gained at least 10 pounds since moving here. A combination of not going to the gym due to a lack of time and sleep, working at a place with pastries, and trying to fit in by going out for beers with folks. I'm going to make a concerted effort to get back in shape by Thanksgiving.

After the work out, I went to see The Forgotten, a new sci-fi movie. It was supposed to have some good scares in it, and there was one part that made me jump, along with most of the crowd, but it certainly wasn't scary. At the end of the movie someone yelled that they wanted their money back. It wasn't that bad, but it certainly wasn't a great a movie either. It could have been better in so many ways. Heck, if it had been better in any way I would probably feel much better about having spent $5.25 on it (at least the matinee prices are good until 6pm even on the weekends here). The story could have been better, the dialog could have been more interesting, there could have been more suspense or creepy parts, there could have been some special effects to give you a glimpse at those running the "experiment". But sadly, there was none of that. Julianne Moore is a great actress and I had no problem staring at her for an hour and a half, but that was about all I got out of the movie.

Now I'm about to head out to meet up with my Sunday night crowd for dinner, drinks, and laughs. All in all, a pretty decent (read: relazing) weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home