Sunday, October 24, 2004

Karaoke

Last night I went out to dinner with my realtor Dan, and his wife, to sign the few remaining papers on the purchase of the house. We met a local chain restaurant and chatted over dinner. It was very convenient that we were meeting because only a few minutes after they arrived my loan officer called me to ask for some more information. I gave the phone to Dan and let the two talk directly.

During dinner Dan and his wife started brainstorming regarding the single women that they know and thought I might like to meet. Dan explains that he does the same thing for his two sons, but I was far from offended. On the contrary, I can use all the help I can get since I know so few people out here.

After a nice dinner with Dan and his wife, I drove to Minneapolis to meet up with my ex-Apple coworker, and friend, Dave for beers and trivia at a local (to Dave) bar. Dave was there with a half dozen other friends and I joined in and bought a pitcher. We had a good time playing TV trivia and chatting about random things. A couple of people decided that they wanted to go to a karaoke bar in downtown, and I decided that would be fun. Watching karaoke is fun. The couple of times I've watched I've had a seriously fun time.

Six of us headed down to the bar, which was very small, being stuck in the middle of two streets intersecting at narrow angle. There was barely enough room for a bumper pool table at the back of the bar. Some of the singers were good, some weren't, but it looked like everyone was having a good time and many were singing along (including yours truly). Somewhere during the night a bachelorette party came in and the bar was suddenly very full. A few more groups of women came in and the bar was packed. Too bad most of them had large rocks on their left hands. But none the less, this was clearly a target rich environment. I wasn't in the right mindset to go up to any of them, but clearly a karaoke bar is a much better location than any of the other bars/restaurants I've been to around here.

Towards the end of the evening my compatriots convinced me to go up and join the chorus for the country song "Friends In Low Places". I wasn't drunk, but somehow I found myself with a microphone -- apparently the only working microphone of the three that were up there. Luckily, the two people up there with me were singing at the top of their lungs, as was much of the crowd, so I didn't feel quite so conspicuous. It also helped that there wasn't a stage, just a monitor and microphone stand at the narrow end of the bar. The worst part of the whole thing was that they played the CD version of the song, not the radio version, so about half way into the song I had to start paying attention to the monitor. Reading and singing in time to the text as it slowing changed color is quite difficult. Oh well, I had fun, and no one threw anything; so it was a win in my book.

I'll definitely go again, though I'm not so sure about singing again. It did, however, get me thinking about taking singing lessons. If you ask me, karaoke is definitely is a team sport though, so I probably won't be going again until I can get some friends to join me, but that's a goal to work towards too. Lots of fun, definitely worth doing again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home