Friday, October 15, 2004

Busy busy busy

This week has been rather hectic with lots going on due to the house and community education classes.

Wednesday I left work early to meet the home inspector and hear his comments on the house I'm buying. Everything looks good. The biggest thing is one tab missing on one shingle of the roof. No evidence of any water damage or infiltration, which the inspector said is very unusual for Minnesota. There was a brief ballyhoo regarding that missing tab, with my realtor not wanting to kill the deal if we pointed it out and made a big fuss. I didn't want to kill the deal either, but since the roof was replaced a year after the house was built, I wanted to know what might be going on with that missing tab. Is it an isolated incident, or is that how the whole thing started the first time? Lots of phone calls later, things are fine. I didn't ask for the shingle to be replaced, but the owner is going to have it done anyway. Very nice.

The next biggest issue with the house is that it only has a 40 gallon water heater. This seems small for a family of 5 and such a big house. This probably explains why they have it set on extra-high heat, and that probably explains why the burner looks like it's been driven hard. Not an issue though, I can turn down the heat, and replacing it with a tankless unit is a serious possibility.

I've got pictures of the house here. Sorry I don't have any thumbnails or explanations to go with the pictures. The first ones are of the outside of the house and then we went to the second garage and into it's loft/storage area. Then on to the storage above the attached garage, the attached garage, and then into the house. I'll try for better pictures later, but the camera phone didn't do too badly, though the purple sky effect on the outside pictures is interesting.

Yesterday night I had my first of six stained glass classes. We got our patterns, which I modified slightly, and then began to cut out the patterns with funky scissors that actually cut out the line instead of cutting on the line (so you can trace them onto the glass after removing the space needed for the lead) and then cut out the glass. Cutting the glass was both easier than I expected, and harder than I expected. The tool that you use requires far more force than I was expecting, and my thumb is still sore this morning. The breaking of the glass was far easier than I expected. Most of my scores resulted in clean breaks, and I didn't have any problems with cutting out long pieces, unlike some of the other students. I had a couple of blowouts, where the glass didn't break vertically but kinda broke at an angle, taking some of the top of the glass with it. Shouldn't be a problem, it might be covered by the lead, and if it's not, I can cut a new piece. I've got plenty of extra glass. It looks like it will be a pretty nice piece when I'm done, so I'm already getting excited about. Look for updates in the coming weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home