Friday, October 22, 2004

Not much to say

Not a whole lot has been going on lately. Work is progressing normally, and the house buying process has settled into its anticipated calmness. Home owner's insurance is a bit outrageous though, at $975 a year. I guess that's what you get for having two structures. I'll have to look into getting them to lower the coverage or something.

I just added the SVT Focus to my list of cars and that bumped my rate considerably. I'm now paying $920 for 6 months. I don't think I should be paying that much. It's not like one person can be driving 3 cars at once, but what do I know. I'm not ready to get rid of the truck or Miata, but it might be worth looking into insuring them separately so that they can each have different levels of coverage. Though that might not make up for the multi-car discount. Why do they make it so difficult?

Things of note include the possibility that the current owners of my new house might not be able to move out on the scheduled date (Nov 19th), but that doesn't really matter to me. As long as they get out by the middle of December, things are fine. I have to pay rent at my townhouse until the end of December (in addition to the $1800 I gave them to break my lease). I'm out of town for Thanksgiving, so moving on the 20th, or any time that week, wasn't my plan. I might be able to move some stuff into the detached garage, and if that's the case, that's good enough for me.

Last night I had the second of my leaded stained glass class. I started assembling my piece, and it's looking good. It's about 14x10 to give you idea of scale. The only bummer last night was that I seemed to have lost my lead cutters which I got the week before. I don't know where it could have gone. I'll search the car this weekend, but if it's not there, I'll have to get a new one. Not a biggie, just annoying.

The SVT Focus is a great little car. I'm getting about 24mpg driving it to and from work and out to lunch. That's a lot better than the 13-14mpg I was getting with the SVT Lightning, and I'm definitely having more fun driving it. It's lot of fun to flog. It's gearbox is a joy to row. It rewards you every time you throw it into a corner. Oh yeah, the heated seats aren't bad either. Luckily, driving it hard can still be done at sane speeds, unlike the Lightning.

The two biggest issues with the Focus are that it follows the ruts and grooves in the road and when the engine is cold, it surges. Following the road is pretty normal for a small car with 17" wheels and low profile tires. I was expecting that. But I wasn't expecting a surging from the engine when it's cold. It's not going to stall, but it doesn't want to do a steady state at a reasonable RPM. The issue is really that I don't want to drive around at 4000 RPM when the engine is cold. It's not a big issue; it feels like a racehorse that's chomping at the bit, ready to go running but you're holding it back. That's pretty much what my Miata does in the same situation. The Focus is going to fit right in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home