Saturday, November 26, 2005

Not so lazy Saturday

Saturday morning started out by me wanting to sleep in as long as possible, but that wasn't possible since I had to deal with the two to three inches of snow that had fallen the previous day. Luckily my snow thrower fired right up after being in storage for 9 months and 35 minutes later I was done. It looks like I'll need new blades for the snow thrower (it's the kind with rubber paddles so that it actually scrapes all the way down to the pavement), but it's fully functional in the mean time, which is all that matters.

After that Sara and I took a bunch of boards up from the basement to the table saw in the garage so that I could rip them into more useful shims for installing the DRIcore. I ripped a bunch of 3/4" shims for the walls without drywall and shaved a 2x4 down 1/4" at a time to make the shims needed for the walls that had drywall already installed. Ten hours later and the saw dust is still hanging in the garage.

After that, Sara started cleaning the floor of debris, and I started laying DRIcore. The DRIcore goes down very quickly since there's no glue or nails, and only one cut is needed at the end of each row. There's a lot of banging with a hammer to get the panels tight to each other, but that's it. So far I haven't had to use any shims to level the panels, so that's really nice.

Sara patched five holes (from where the previous room's walls had been) in the concrete floor while I continued to lay DRIcore. After laying about 100 panels (4 rows) my back was shot and Sara went out for knitting supplies.

If my back holds up tomorrow I should be able to get almost all of the DRIcore panels down. Let's hope.