Saturday, November 26, 2005

Dishwasher troubles

Monday was the day that Sara was making all of the food that she was going to bring up for Thanksgiving dinner. Of course that would be the day that the dishwasher decides to pee all over the floor.

It appears that the gasket that seals the door had shriveled up and was no longer sealing (after less than 8 years). I called the number of the top of the washer's door, got GE's parts department, and ordered a new gasket for $18.

We had to wash everything by hand, though we used the dishwasher as a drying rack. Let me tell you, cooking a hundred cookies (four different kinds), two pies, sweet potato spoon bread, and preparing the dough for rolls makes a lot of dirty dishes. This was not the time for the dishwasher to go on strike.

When we got back from Franklin on Friday, I checked the mail and found my replacement gasket. Yea! When I went to install it Saturday morning I found out that the gasket kit doesn't include one little piece of gasket that goes in the bottom center of the door. This, of course, was the part that was leaking. I installed the new gasket around the door anyway and ordered the missing part of gasket. It's nearly impossible to close the door now, but they say that this will get easier in a few weeks.

Hopefully the dishwasher will be working in a few days, but if it's not, I'm eyeing a new Jenn-Air Floating Glass dishwasher that will match the new range that I just got.