Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Easy come, easy go

This past Saturday Sara and I went to Home Depot to get thermostat wire. Why thermostat wire you might ask? Because we want to put up a tree for Christmas, and Sara wants to put up some delicate and priceless ornaments, but I'm not willing to vouch for Lucy and claim that there's no possibility that she won't try to climb the tree and knock it over in the process. Since the front room of the house has glass doors that be closed, it's the perfect room for the tree. However, it's also the room with the thermostat, and closing off that room would mean that the rest of the house would quickly become very uncomfortable.

While we were at Home Depot we saw that they were having 10% off all appliances $299 and up. We had bought our Jenn-Air range, for $1569, just two days before and asked if we could get the discount. The associate told us no, but I was pretty sure that if I asked the customer service people, that they would give me the discount. I went back to my house, got the receipt, saw that I had 3 business days to get a refund on special orders, and went to the Home Depot that I actually bought the range at.

I went to the customer service desk and told them I had just bought the stove and wanted the discount, which we could either the easy way (they just give it to me), or the hard way (I return the stove, that I haven't taken delivery of yet, and buy it again with the discount). The customer service people were quite happy to do it easy way, though when the customer service people called the appliance manager to get her code to approve our $167 refund, she was shocked. The customer service people explained that we had just bought a $1569 stove, hence our desire for the 10% off, and the appliance manager gave her code and we got our discount.

Emboldened by the savings of $167, we went out and spent it three times over. We bought new sheets, new cooking hardware, and some other gear. It was stuff that we needed, but I think I would have preferred to have bought the stuff in a month or so. Oh well, one of these days I'll get through a weekend without spending tons of money.