Wednesday, November 02, 2005

House with pop!

Monday evening was Halloween, and my first Halloween in the new house (having moved in December of last year). I figured that since I'm living at the edge of suburbia, and everyone seems to have the requisite 2.3 kids that I should get a fair amount of candy.

I bought about 12lbs of candy and started handing it out at about 5:30pm (actually, Sara started handing it out as I was still cooking dinner). By about 6pm I was starting to worry that I should go out and get some more. By 6:15pm I was seriously talking about going out and getting more candy but Sara thought it wouldn't be needed. But by 6:45pm we had about 6 pieces of candy left and I had to go out and get more candy, or face the wrath of angry 5th graders.

To hold them off while I was out getting new bags of candy, we emptied the fridge of Pepsi and Mountain Dew and Sara gave that out until I got back with 10lbs of candy.

I ended up giving away a few more pounds of candy (until about 8pm), but the best part was when 6 or 7 5th or 6th graders came to house. I gave the first one some candy and he said sadly proclaimed "We thought you were the house with pop." "Oh", I said, "I've still got some if you want that." I was greeted by a round of "Yes, please!"

Well, I know what I'll have to buy next year. Lots of soda for the teenagers and probably 15lbs of candy for the little ones. It's expensive living in the 'burbs.