Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Oops

This morning on my way into work I turned north onto Manning Ave, my usual way to work. Up in the distance I could see red and blue flashing lights and thought "Wow, they're really cracking down on speeders around here."

As I got to within about a quarter of a mile I saw that the cop car was sideways with it's back half in traffic and a tow truck, complete with flashing lights, was just pulling up. I was thinking "Do they impound cars around here for not having valid insurance or what could this person have done to get their car impounded on their way into work?"

As I got to with a hundred feet it became clear what had happened. The cop had driven off the shoulder, presumably trying to make a u-turn, and had beached his cruiser as there is quite a ditch at that point. Oops.

But it was OK, he had another officer there to keep him company while the tow truck started to figure out how they were going to get his car back onto the road. I'm sure that's going to require some explaining back at the station.

As I left, I couldn't help but think that whomever he was turning around to chase (if that's in fact what he was doing) was one lucky bastard. If only we could all be so lucky. :-)