Saturday, April 30, 2005

You know you're in Minnesota when...

...you're mowing your lawn and it starts to snow.

It started out as a nice day, mid 40's at 10am and the temperature was rising. I needed to take my new Toro Recycler out for a spin. Most of the others in the neighborhood mowed their lawn last weekend, so mine was beginning to look a bit ragged.

About 30 minutes into mowing the lawn a cold front moved in, it got windy, and it started to snow. Just a light snow, nothing that stuck and it only snowed for a few minutes, but it definitely was kinda surreal.

It took me about 45 minutes, maybe an hour, to mow the lawn. It's a big yard. What was I thinking? All in all though, I suppose it's not too bad, and definitely not hard work since the mower is self propelled (and the handlebar is the throttle, so the faster you walk, the faster it goes -- up to about 4.5mph). I then spent a while figuring out how to turn the water back on for the sprinkler system (it had been purged for winter and it took me a while to figure out that I had to screw closed the air pressure fitting that was used to purge the system). Once that was solved I had to figure out the sprinkler system controls and tested all of the zones (all nine of them). Only one sprinkler head had issues, and it was just buried under some thatch. A little digging with my fingers and it popped up right in my face. Boy is the water cold!

In a week or two I'll buy a weed whacker/edger to take care of the grass growing through the retaining wall blocks and to make sure it looks nice along the sidewalk. I think a saw a neighbor using a battery powered weed whacker. That might be a better choice than a two-stroke gas powered one, though some of the new gas powered ones have an interchangeable system of heads to do different things, which might make it worthwhile dealing with the hassle of yet another gasoline powered yard appliance.

Time to do some research.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home