Friday, August 27, 2004

TV 1 woman 0

Last night, I was out to dinner by myself at a local restaurant, eating in their bar. They had 5 TVs with two showing a baseball game, two the Olympics, and one a football game. I was watching the Olympics, which clearly wasn't a popular show with the crowd as one TV was almost immediately switched to football, and shortly thereafter, the saddest thing I've seen in a long time happened. A man and women, in their early 20s came in and sat down two tables away from me. They appeared to be on a date, though they had the easy look of a couple that's been together for a while. He's sitting facing her, and in the distance, me and the TV above me. He then asks the bartender to switch the TV over me, the one I'm watching, the remaining one showing the Olympics, to baseball. Not just any baseball game, but the same game that the TV to his right is showing. He wanted the TV in front of him to be baseball so that, I suppose, he could pretend to be paying attention to his girl but really be watching baseball. He then spent the next 10 minutes staring with a dumbfounded look at the TV above me. I really felt sorry for that poor woman. I left so that I could continue watching the Olympics at home. I guess that's the kind of treatment that women expect here in the Midwest, second fiddle to TV. So sad.

This weekend I'm going out to look at land and meet with a rep from a builder. Never looked at land before. Not quite sure how you do it. Should be interesting. I need to start making a list of things I want in a new house so that I'm sure to not miss anything. I should probably prioritize them as well since I'm unlikely to be able to afford all the things I want. Suggestions welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home